Water Resources Service Line
McAdams is a full-service land planning, landscape architecture, civil engineering and geomatics firm located in North Carolina and Texas, with our sights on additional markets. We seek a partnership with our clients to create meaningful experiences through inspired design. Our employees are what makes McAdams different! We bring "experiences" to the forefront of everything we do, and that takes special people.
The Designer position provides technical design support for stormwater capital improvement projects, stormwater control measures, green stormwater infrastructure, riverine flooding analysis, and watershed modeling. This position reports to a project team supervisor (Project or Technical Manager) Designers will work as part of a project team to deliver a variety of Water Resources projects for both public and private clients. Specific technical responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Essential Functions + Responsibilities
- Work with senior engineering staff to design, model and permit innovative stormwater measures which reduce flooding and improve water quality through Green Stormwater Infrastructure Techniques.
- Be on the forefront of an evolving engineering market.
- Work daily with direct team members and other disciplines including Engineers, Designers, CAD Technicians, Landscape Architects, and Planners in hybrid project teams.
- Field work and site visits from study or design through construction may be required
- Design and/or analysis of open and closed stormwater conveyance and culvert systems within the context of watershed studies and capital improvement projects
- Perform riverine flooding analysis using 1-D and 2-D modeling software
- Interact with and respond to review agencies.
- Interact with other operational groups within the overall company structure.
- Four-year bachelor's degree from an accredited program in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Biological and Agricultural Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology, or related field
- 2 - 5 years of experience in water resources and environmental design experience
- Experience with AutoCAD
- Excellent communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Self-starter with strong drive to better oneself, project team, and community
- Candidates should be prepared to provide work samples and/or take a CAD assessment
- Civil 3D
- Experience with SCM design and modeling
- Understanding of common stormwater regulations and permitting requirements
- Experience with HEC-HMS, SWMM, PondPack, or TR-55
- Experience with hydrograph routing, Riverine Modeling, FEMA Flood Studies, CLOMR/LOMR letters, and No-Rise certifications
- Exposure to ArcMap or other GIS Software
- EI on path to PE preferred
We participate in E-Verify. Information from all employees' Form I-9 is used to confirm work authorization.
EOE: Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. We are equal opportunity employers. Decisions regarding hiring, promotions and terminations are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (over 40), disability, genetic information, veteran status or any other legally protected status.